Thursday, April 28, 2011

28. The Alphabet Killer


Title:        The Alphabet Killer
Year:        2008
Genre:      Supernatural Thriller

Source:     Netflix
Run Time: 98




________________________________________________________________________
Trailer

________________________________________________________________________
Synopsis

In this psychological thriller inspired by true events, Eliza Dushku ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer") stars as Megan Paige, a dogged police investigator obsessed with capturing a demented serial killer targeting young girls in Rochester, N.Y. Haunted by the grisly rape and murder of a 10-year-old victim, Paige begins to suffer hallucinations that culminate in a suspense-filled climax. Cary Elwes and Timothy Hutton co-star.
________________________________________________________________________
Personal Thoughts

The Alphabet Killer is said to be based on actually events! Being from Rochester New York, I can attest to the fact that this is one that a lot of town folks (including my family) haven't forgotten.

The so-called "Alphabet murders" (also known as the "double initial murders") took place in the early 1970s in the Rochester, New York area; three young girls were raped and strangled. The case got its name from the fact that each of the three girls' first and last names started with the same letters (Carmen Colon, Wanda Walkowicz, and Michelle Maenza) and that the bodies were found in a town that started with the same letter as the girls' names (Colon in Churchville, Walkowicz in Webster and Maenza in Macedon). - Wikipedia 
My Reasons for wanting to see this movie were twofold: The director of "The Alphabet Killer" (Rob Schmidt) also directed Wrong Turn which I liked ... and ... The movie was set and shot in my hometown of Rochester New York. I guess it's really threefold because I also love Supernatural/Psychological Thrillers/Serial Killer Movies.

To keep things short and to the point, the movie wasn't awful but it also wasn't great! (Boy have I seen many of these types of movies in my day). I felt as though the ghostly aspect of the movie could have been future developed and written better. The effects weren't even that great! My wife turned to me and said, "maybe they should have left the ghost part out altogether."

In all, I wasn't expecting much going into this movie but still found myself entertained enough to feel justified for giving it a shot. (I've seen far worst ... trust me!)
________________________________________________________________________ 
My Ratings



________________________________________________________________________
The Alphabet Killer Extras:

________________________________________________________________________
You may also like:
     
Gothika ________________________________________________________________________
The Mothman

No comments:

Post a Comment