Sunday, April 17, 2011

17. The Signal


Title:        The Signal
Year:        2007
Genre:      Epidemic Horror

Source:     Netflix
Run Time: 103




________________________________________________________________________
Trailer

________________________________________________________________________
Synopsis

When the phones, radios and televisions in the city of Terminus begin to broadcast the same strange signal, the transmission breeds jealousy and hate, turning once-sane people into murderous lunatics. A faithless wife seeks the safety of her lover, while her affected husband hunts for her. David Bruckner, Jacob Gentry and Dan Bush each write and direct an act of this horror tale that was nominated for a John Cassavetes Independent Spirit Award.
________________________________________________________________________
Personal Thoughts

To each his own is the phrase I tend to say a lot, and after watching this movie, I'm saying it again.
 
The Signal is a 2007 Independent horror film, one that I myself didn't end up enjoying nearly as much others did, judging by reviews I came across on the internet. People seem to like this movie. The Signal, In my opinion, starts off promising and interesting, but morphs into something more ... well, more different than what I was hoping for. I understand that sometimes being different (not following some of the cliche trends of the traditional mainstream American horror film) can be a good thing, but I'm just not sure it was a good thing in this case. I'm still questioning where the director was trying to go with this one.

The film is broken down into three parts called transmissions.
 
Transmission I: Crazy In Love 
Transmission II: The Jealously Monster 
Transmission III: Escape From Terminus
 
I actually really enjoyed the first transmission. It had all the makings of a truly good horror movie, reminding me of a cross between The Crazies and The Ring. Then Transmission II rolls around, with black humor and a Danny Elfman, Desperate Housewives style sound track (okay, maybe that's pushing it a bit) and completely ruins it for me.
 
I get that it was supposed to give us a taste of the experience through the deranged twisted perspective of Lewis, one who had been compromised by the signal. I get it, but I just didn't really like it!

Overall, you can say that this movie just wasn't my cup of tea. But I'm still recommending it to those who haven't seen it because, as the saying goes, one mans trash can be another mans treasure!

________________________________________________________________________ 
My Ratings



________________________________________________________________________
The Signal Extras:

________________________________________________________________________
You may also like:
     
The Suicide Song ________________________________________________________________________
The Mothman 

No comments:

Post a Comment